Things I Do (abridged)
- Opportunities of the Week newsletter for freelance writers.
- Created, co-run and co-sponsor the Newcomer Corner for DAME to foster emerging voices in the media industry.
- Founded the Black Journalists Therapy Relief Fund, a gofundme campaign I started during the George Floyd riots to help Black writers access the mental health treatment they need to deal with the emotional toll of reporting on their experience. Within the first 48 hours, the fund reached 32k, helping 53 applicants receive their requested amount in full. On June 30, we reached over 70k and helped 84 people. The fund is now run by IWMF. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Founded the AAPI Journalists Mental Health Fund to provide financial assistance to AAPI journalists in need of mental health treatment following the shootings in Atlanta. Secured free goods from brands and creators like Benefit Cosmetics, Telfar, Slice, and Liz Climo to raffle off as fundraisers. The fund is now run by AAJA.
- Journalism (see highlights)
- Work with a content agency on both internal communications as well as research and writing assignments for large corporations (Amazon, JP Morgan, McDonalds).
- Worked with NBCU + Sky to translate a 58 slide dek into a comprehensive report on the partnership and the company’s new culture consulting capabilities.
- Write bios for real estate professionals to be featured in Agent Magazine’s Who’s Who.
- Provide free career advice and resume/portfolio edits for emerging journalists.
Things I’ve Done (abridged)
- Fact-checked “Dedicated: The Case of Commitment in an Age of Infinite Browsing” by Pete Davis (Simon & Schuster, May 2021, Netflix’s quarterly magazine Queue, niche jam-band focused Relix, and a road trip guide book published by Avalon Travel.
- Written games for NPR’s Ask Me Another
- Ghostwritten content for major corporations and thought leaders.
- Graduated from the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University in 2014 with a B.A in creative writing, journalism, and gender studies. It has proved useful.
You can contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me at @weischoice.