Things I Do (abridged)
- Opportunities of the Week newsletter for freelance writers.
- Manage the Black Journalists Therapy Relief Fund, a gofundme campaign I started during the George Floyd riots to help Black writers access the mental health treatment they need to deal with the emotional toll of reporting on their experience. Within the first 48 hours, the fund reached 32k, helping 53 applicants receive their requested amount in full. On June 30, we reached over 70k and helped 84 people. The fund is now a joint partnership with IWMF. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Journalism (see highlights)
- Work with a content agency on both internal communications as well as research and writing assignments for large corporations.
- Write bios for real estate professionals to be featured in Agent Magazine’s Who’s Who.
- Provide free career advice and resume/portfolio edits for emerging journalists.
Things I’ve Done (abridged)
- Created the Journalists Doing Pro Bono Work spreadsheet for industry professionals to advertise their availability to help out fledgling/struggling journalists.
- Fact-checked for Netflix’s Queue, Relix, and a road trip guide book published by Avalon Travel.
- Written games for NPR’s Ask Me Another
- Ghostwritten content for major corporations and thought leaders.
- Graduated from the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University in 2014 with a B.A in creative writing, journalism, and gender studies. It has proved useful.
You can contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me at @weischoice.